Apply to Become a Host Community Member at Kinbrace Community Society
Kinbrace is seeking individuals/families to commit to becoming volunteer Host Community Member(s), living in a self-contained unit within the Kinbrace community on Venables Street in east Vancouver.
You are seeking a creative and meaningful home life. Living life in a community as an engaged and attentive neighbour alongside newly arrived refugee claimants resonates with you.
As a Host Community Member you will create and sustain a place of home and kinship among people seeking refugee protection, wholeheartedly aligning yourself with and living into Kinbrace’s core values:
- Mutual Transformation
Amidst the regular rhythms of life, you will:
- Attend Tuesday community dinners 3x/month, cooking occasionally
- Spend time with residents and their children, visiting, going on walks / outings
- Coordinate Christmas and New Year’s celebrations with other host community members
- Offer your unique interests and talents to the community
- Tend the Kinbrace property (gardens, lawns, snow removal, etc.)
- Commit to living at Kinbrace for a minimum of 1 year
- Have a strong volunteer ethic
- Are a proven community builder
- Thrive in a multicultural environment
- Are a single person, couple or family (up to 4 people)
Some highlights from past Host Community Members:
- “The most life-giving aspect of living in the Kinbrace community for me was the relationships made; they were deeply meaningful. Over time, simply from being present in the same space day in and day out, trust grows. It is a gift to get to know people from all over the world in such a way.” – Jennie
- “All of the celebrations, both spontaneous and planned: the weekly meals with many birthdays, positive determination parties, goodbye tributes, baby showers, New Years, etc. There is a vibrancy that happens when the fragility of life feels so close to home.” – Carrie
- “My family grew tenfold in the time I lived at Kinbrace…I arrived empty-handed and left with at least 8 new sisters!” – Tatum
Applications will be accepted until 31 January 2018.
Contact Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.251.4767 with your questions and/or wonderings.